Monday, September 22, 2008

25. hooters

The two weeks in picturesque Madison went by in a haze of happy, loved-up activity. You know those movie montages when they show the couple doing fun things, falling more in love, with a catchy up-beat love song to accompany the action? I remember it just like that!

The day I arrived we had beers on the terrace by the lake, so pretty and romantic out there in the balmy fall sunshine. I don’t know how the UW students tear themselves away to class. For supper we went out to an Afghan restaurant where I nearly nodded off over my food, but I was so content just to sit there, with Beautiful Boy’s hand never leaving mine.

We went to sports bars with dollar a beer nights, American football and rodeo on the huge TV screens. I’d tag along to Boy’s black jack games and poker evenings, one night almost taking the pot. We celebrated his roommate’s birthday at the German Essen Haus where I gamely tried to keep up with the massive jugs of beer doing the rounds. We attended an MBA golf day, as Boy wouldn’t hear of me staying home alone, so I kept score and drove the cart with his teammate while he walked! I saw my first live football game when we watched the Wisconsin Badgers beat up Michigan State. I have to post a picture of the stadium; I have never seen anything like it. The spirit of unity and enthusiasm was unbelievable.






We had hot dogs at the stadium, hamburgers everywhere and some of the best sushi I ever had at Muramoto. Boy woke me up in the mornings with coffee and croissants from the shop downstairs. We’re not that used to take-away coffee in SA so even this little gesture was fun and exciting to me. I just had to try cheese curds (deep-fried cheese, yummm) and mac and cheese pizza at Ian’s and Hooters chicken wings. I insisted on visiting this venerable American institution, just had to see it for myself. We went shopping and clubbing and watched SA take on USA in the Rugby World Cup at an Irish bar, which was packed with South African dairy farmers in town for a Dairy Conference!

Boy celebrated his 27th birthday and we partied all night, and had our first fight! He asked me if I wanted to dance downstairs or go chat upstairs. I said I didn’t mind, whatever he wanted to do. Somehow we ended up mad at each other because neither one would decide what they wanted to do. Aw, isn’t that sweet? Of course making up was even sweeter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fighting because you were both trying to be so courteous is actually a little sickening . . . haha. Let's hear more!

Em

Jules said...

The first fight I had with my Mister was about who GETS to do the laundry. Um . . . what's that about?

Cate Subrosa said...

Aw, your first fight. That's actually a nice development because it's getting a bit more real.

God, I'm writing this comment as if this is fiction! Well done for coming up with such timely twists for the story! Ha ha...

Mrs T said...

I can picture the montage of your time together with the love music right now. Sounds great!

Modelmental said...

Em, I know, completely sickening! What kind of a fight is that? The fights to come don't get much better though, sorry to ruin it for ya...

Jules, that's even better. Fighting over house work? Don't suppose it's still like that is it?

GS, I never knew it would play it so perfectly twisty when you tell it like this... every post is still a surprise to me! Like my muse is using my fingers, nothing to do with me!

Charlie, one day when I'm not (slightly) incognito anymore I'll make that montage and post it! x

cara said...

Damn, I caught up. I was kind of hoping it would go on forever! I'm desperate to get to the bit where your hand acquires that sparkly thing on your fourth finger!

Ah, the first fight. I'm afraid ours was not quite so romantic. I'm glad you made up!

Modelmental said...

peonies, ssssh, some readers haven't clicked the clue... and you don't know who put the sparkler there, do you? hie hie xxx