Monday, September 15, 2008

16. fine

I call it my single life, but I’m pretty sure that a single life doesn’t usually include daily loving text messages back and forth between oneself and a certain Beautiful Boy?

But a single life might include kissing a random Other boy one night out on the town…

I couldn’t explain it to my own satisfaction then, and doubt whether I can make logical sense of it now. But it’s part of the story and therefore must be told.

One beautiful end-of-winter’s Saturday I went to an audition for a TV presenting job and it went great! Afterwards I met up with Careergirl to watch friends of hers playing club rugby. It was a gorgeous, bright day, filled with the hopeful sounds and smells of spring. Being outside on the balmy green fields, cheering and drinking with friends, following straight after the confidence boosting audition, I felt dizzy with joy.

The party continued post-match in the clubhouse and I was introduced to Careergirl’s friends. The room was packed with fit, charming boys and the girls who came to support and visit at the club. The whole atmosphere was loaded with flirtation.

Careergirl and I were both single, confident, bubbly girls new to the scene, so it’s fair to say that we received rather special attention all round. One boy stood out from the rest in that he refused to show particular interest. He would come over, crack a joke and disappear again. His strategy worked like a charm.

Hours later the entire party had moved to a restaurant/bar/club on the beachfront and suffice it to say that everyone there was rather tipsy. The Other boy had plucked up the Dutch courage to pay considerably more attention to me and soon we were dancing, flirting, dancing, chatting and then dancing, kissing!

He was a cute, smart, respectful boy. He danced like a dream and the kisses were fine.

Wait a minute, I’d been starved of kissing random cute smart respectful boys for 10 years and now here was the opportunity and the kisses were FINE? I had always thought and imagined that late night kisses with Other boys would be fantastic, exhilarating, mind-blowing, perfect, unbelievable…

As they had indeed been with one Beautiful Boy…

At that thought the kissing was stopped, the dancing was over, the lights came on and Careergirl and I found our way home.

11 comments:

Cate Subrosa said...

I think the point of this part of the story is pretty clear. You needed to test it. And it passed!

Anonymous said...

I found you via Guilty Secret, and have just read all your posts. You tell a great story, and I'll be back to read the rest....

Anonymous said...

I can not WAIT to read more! i'm headed to give you a plug on my blog now!

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha. Well, they can't all kiss like a dream now can they? :)

Em

Oh, and I'm coming to SA to visit my college roommate who is serving there a missionary right now. She sent me a pretty extensive list on sights to see, but I have been wondering about money - what is the currency there, and do you happen to know the exchange rate? Do they accept American money in the form of a credit card?

Barefoot Billionaire said...

redframe, I love your writing style and honesty. Can't wait for the next post!

Mrs T said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Loving this post as well. I'm barely hanging onto the edge of my seat....

I almost wished I'd come over here later, so I could skip ahead!

Hollywood Tai Tai said...

Can't wait for the next! I love how you found love and found yourself in the process.

BB said...

no pressure!

seems like there might be a revolt if you ever go on holiday or take a break for a day or two!

love your story, love the fact that you are sharing it with us, love you.

Modelmental said...

GS, yeah I know that NOW! You're way too emotionally intelligent! Can't wait to find the time to check your new blog... Where do you find the time girl?!

Pam, thank you! Gotta love GS for all the traffic she sent me!

Lll, THANK YOU!!! I'm on my way to yours...

Em, I thought they would! Just by virtue of being new and different and oh i love kissing...
Our currency is South African Rand. It's around R8 to 1 US dollar. Everything here should be rather cheap for you! Most places accept Visa and Mastercard, some not Amex though.

Barefoot, welcome! Thank you and stay tuned! (Cute name btw!)

Charlie, no cheating now! You gotta wait like everyone else. Including me! I never know what exactly's coming next...

Hollywood, yes! Let love show you the way to yourself... Still finding myself daily, also through expressing it all in this blog. Yay for personal growth!

BB, only peaceful protests please? Feeling so very loved... love you too!

cara said...

Single life is over-rated once you've found someone you makes your toes tingle when you kiss them. All other kisses are just kind of blah in comparrison. I'm glad you got it out of your system early!

Modelmental said...

Peonies, you've just brought up the subject of a whole other series of postings still waiting to be brought to life... With Ex I always wondered and thought of and missed kissing other boys as all my single friends did. I thought it was because I never had that single experience. Now I know, I just thought of it cause where I was wasn't right. Like I said, whole series in there!