Tuesday, September 16, 2008

18. regret

On the Sunday after kissing the Other boy, I woke up hung-over, regretful, confused and racked with guilt. I spent the day on the couch with Carrie and the girls, trying to figure out what the night and my reaction to it meant for my prized single status.

I exchanged a harmless message or two with the Beautiful Boy, deciding that since we were officially single, I wouldn’t tell him anything until we were face to face again. It felt bad though. It felt like lying, like cheating.

By Sunday night I reached a low point. I couldn't do it, not like this. I wrote a long confessional e-mail, reminding the Boy that I found myself in completely uncharted territory. I was trying to be single while getting over something and at the same time I’d fallen in love with someone new who could not be there with me right then.

Not knowing when he would read it or what his reaction would be nearly drove me insane. I was just going to have to wait. I cried myself to sleep, tears of loss and fear.

What if I’d just given up the best man that I ever would meet?
What if he took this occurrence as a cue that my feelings for him were not as sincere as I’d professed?
What if he’s the jealous type who could never get over this?
What if he’d been kissing Other girls?
Would I want to know?
Could I accept it?

And what did any of these question matter as we were both “single”?!

6 comments:

CaitStClair said...

I also was sent over by Peonies and Polariods at which point I promptly read every one of your posts. Fantastic! I can't wait for the next installment!

Insight, Insanity, Imagination said...

I just stumbled across your blog today, and I have sat and read every single post! I'm hooked! I NEED MORE!!!!!!!

Cate Subrosa said...

You know how you felt waiting to hear back from him after you sent that email? That's what reading this blog is like!

Modelmental said...

Welcome Caitstclair! And thank you, I still yelp with excitement at every new complimentary comment!

Iii, more coming up as soon as I can get done commenting on the comments! THANK YOU!

GS, ah that's awful, I don't want to do that to you! (But I love it, she thinks, giggling sadistically.) I don't even find time to check out GS and peonies anymore! Right now... I'm off. Be back soon though! Promise.

cara said...

Oh god, I want to send you a big hug. Well not now obviously because I'm assuming times are happier these days. But back then, you definitely needed a hug.

Modelmental said...

P, thanks for the retro-active hug! I sure could've used one that day...